Shandon has a proud history of developing junior players. We have a commitment to turning hopeful young golfers into the best players they can possibly be, offering a safe environment in which to develop.
The emphasis is very much on fun – what’s the point of playing golf if you don’t enjoy it! A recent initiative underlining the club’s commitment to the next generation of players is the Shandon Junior Golf Academy.
All members of the Academy receive top-class coaching from NZPGA AA-qualified professional Glenn Naylor and his assistants.
The Academy is open to boys and girls aged 7 to 15, and consists of 2 x 10-week modules on 3 levels: 2017 Module begins Sunday 12th February.
- Level 1 – beginners
- Level 2 – on-course skills, obtain a handicap
- Level 3 – play in competitions and/or interclub teams
Students progress to the next level when they have obtained the necessary skills as assessed by the Coaching Director but may retake the module at their current level if not quite ready for the step up.
Golf equipment is made available during coaching sessions where required and you don’t even need to be a member of the club to enjoy the beginner level. On reaching the second level club membership is essential to obtain a handicap, but don’t worry, the cost is very reasonable and far from prohibitive.
Contact the club office on (04) 939 6305 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org to apply, or you can contact Glenn Naylor on (04) 939 6308 for any queries about coaching.
- Shandon Members will receive priority for academy vacancies.
- Applications will be reviewed by the Coaching Director who will allocate positions and starting levels.
- Unsuccessful applicants will be waitlisted for the next module.
- The Coaching Director will rate each member at the end of each eight week module, and advance them to the next module at his discretion. Non Shandon members who retake their current module will be subject to an additional $20 fee.
- Parents/Guardians are required to sign “Permission and Waiver Liability Form”.