Shandon Junior Golf Academy
The Shandon Junior Golf Academy is an exciting new initiative providing the perfect pathway for those aspiring to learn the game of golf. The Academy provides a supportive, encouraging learning environment and seeks to develop the qualities of commitment, goal setting and diligence.
The Academy is suited to all children interested in playing golf. Golf is a game which requires skill, patience and dedication but it also provides wonderful opportunities to develop personal skills and form lasting friendships.
All members of the Academy will receive top class coaching from NZPGA AA qualified professional, Glenn Naylor, Academy Coaching Director and his assistants. Glenn has 15 year’s professional experience and finds it particularly rewarding working with children and youth.
The Academy’s philosophy is based on the fact that golf is a sport played uniquely by each person and every student will be assisted individually to identify and reach their goals.
The Academy structure provides a natural progression for those beyond age 15 into the merit-based Wellington Golf Association junior coaching scheme.
- There will be an Annual Academy Tournament
- Golf equipment will be made available during coaching sessions where required
Dates for 2013 are February 17th – April 21st and September 22nd – December 1st. This is a change from previous years as there will be only two courses run during the year but they will be ten weeks duration instead of eight weeks.
- The Academy runs in ten week modules
- There are three levels:
- level 1 – beginners
- level 2 – on course skills, obtain a handicap
- level 3 – play in competitions and/or interclub teams
- Students progress to the next level when they have obtained skills as assessed by the Coaching Director
- Students not ready to advance have the option of retaking the module at their current level
- Coaching takes place on a Sunday
- Session duration is one and a half hours at Levels 1 & 2 and
one hour at Level 3
- Level 1 – 9.00 am
- Level 2 – 10.30am
- Level 3 – 12.00 noon
Who is Eligible?
- Open to boys and girls aged 7 – 15 years
- New golfers and those already playing
- Shandon junior members, juniors who are not Shandon members. Non members will be subject to a one-off $20 fee at level one. In order to obtain an official handicap (level 2) all academy members will need to join the club
2013 Programme: Dates for each ten week module
- 1st Module – February 17th to April 21st
- 2nd Module – September 22nd to December 1st.
Extra modules may be added if required
The Shandon Junior Golf Academy is the initiative of Peter O’Neil and long time Shandon member John Morgan. It is made possible by generous funding from Peter’s charitable trust comprising $30,000 over the first three years. As the Academy grows, further sponsors will be encouraged to participate and become part of its long term success.
“My early coaching at Shandon gave me the confidence and skills
for competitive success including beating Tiger Woods at the Eisenhower
Trophy in 1992. Glenn is a great coach and will do an excellent job
in ensuring the success of Shandon’s next generation of golfers””
Mark Brown – Winner of the 2008 Johnnie Walker Classic,
NZ Eisenhower Representative
European, Asian and Australasian Tour Professional
“The Shandon Junior Golf Academy is the perfect way for young
golfers to reach their potential. I wish this was available when
I was learning to play golf”
Richard Pegg – Wellington Representative
“I started golf at Shandon when I was ten years old and the
club has been a key part of my success. I have also enjoyed helping
junior golfers and think the Academy offers a fantastic opportunity
to develop their talent”
Andrew Green – NZ Representative, Titleist Academy
NZ Amateur Champion 2006
“Although I’m now U.S. based I often reflect on my early
days at Shandon and the great junior and senior interclub teams I was
a part of. The Academy is a great initiative for Shandon and Wellington
Mathew Lane – NZ Junior Representative, World Junior Runner Up
All America College Team, NZ Open Champion 1998
“I have been involved with coaching juniors at Shandon for
ten years, and am really excited about the opportunities that the new
Junior Academy offers”
Brian Hill – Past Shandon President and Junior Convenor
Prinicipal support: The Port Nicholson Charitable Trust
Sponsor: Wilkinson Insurance Brokers
Terms and Conditions:
- Shandon Members will receive priority for academy vacancies.
- Applications will be reviewed by the Coaching Director who will allocate positions and starting levels.
- Unsuccessful applicants will be waitlisted for the next module.
- The Coaching Director will rate each member at the end of each eight week module, and advance them to the next module at his discretion. Non Shandon members who retake their current module will be subject to an additional $20 fee.
- Parents/Guardians are required to sign “Permission and Waiver Liability Form”.
All enquiries should be directed to the Shandon Golf Club, Petone
Contact the club office on 939 6305 to apply or Glenn Naylor on 939 6308 for any queries about coaching